1991 240 Volvo exhaust leak...

Hi,

My 1991 Volvo 240 has a exhaust leak between the first and second muffler, right where the first muffler attaches to the pipe that eventually goes to the second muffler. I am assuming this leak relieves some back pressure in the exhaust system. Could this leak (loss of back pressure) make the O2 sensor work improperly or have any other effect on my car. Like can it can it cause a loss of MPG/Power due to improperly interpreted parameters the computer system is recieving, or any other problems?

Thanks

Reply to
Your name

My understanding is that input=output, and an exhaust leak should not change anything on the air intake side. An obstruction in the exhaust, however, might limit the air coming in and reduce performance. A leak in the exhaust is just increased pollution and a danger of fumes getting in the cab but should do nothing to the electronics or engine performance.

Reply to
Jamie