1991 volvo 940 gl heater blower

hi everyone in volvo land.just landed here from planet peugeot after some t-=t wrote of my 405 deisel pug (b3£%^&d).anyway i have just adopted a 940 gl (j plate)why i dont know but it is this or keep using my wifes saxo untill she can get of her fat a42e and take lessons and pass her test.the problem is the heater blower doesent work at all on matter what speed the fan is set at.the fuse is ok and a direct 12v to the fan will send it round other than that i am stuck.i found on a web site that it could be the resistor.how do you check it to see if it f^$")d or working.and what are my other options

Reply to
wolves

It is a bank of resistors which plugs into the side of the heater casing. trace the feed to the blower motor then follow it backwards till you reach the output wire from the resistor bank. If you try the other wires on the connector you will find which one(s) have 12V on them when the switch is changed from off through the other positions. If you have no 12V at all then check the wiring from the fuse; if you have 12V on some of the connector pins then replace the resistor bank. You may be able to repair it unless it is of the later type which is composed of solid ceramic insulated resistors. The earlier type was made of wire loops of which one would go open circuit. Haynes or Chilton manuals will show how.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes