1993 240 Classic Edition - Radio going to "Code" every time the car is turned off

I have a 1993 240 Classic Edition sedan, which I love. Of course it has ce rtain things that don't work as well as they should -- the power mirror con trols need to be replaced, the intermittent setting for the wipers doesn't work, the driver's door lock has given up the ghost, and the auto locks hav e just this week stopped working -- but it's overall reliable and has great AC, which is important right now!

Anyway, just yesterday I started the car and the radio displayed CODE, as i f the battery had been disconnected. I entered the code, and the proper di splay came up, but there was no sound from the radio at all, on any station , not even static. In the same trip I noticed that the power antenna remai ned up, even when the radio was off and even when I turned the car off. To day I got back in the car, and I had the same experience with the radio: it displayed CODE, I entered the code, the proper display came up but the rad io was dead. The antenna is still up.

Before I take this to my expensive mechanic, does this sound familiar to an yone? Can anyone give me a hint at what the problem might be? Might I dare hope that both this and the auto lock problem are fuse issues? I used to have a fuse tester years ago, but no longer.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Patricia

Reply to
Patricia Butler

I don't know the exact setup, but I'm willing to bet that the radio has two separate 12v power feeds - one which is always on in order to remember its code and its station tuning, and one which is only on, and allows the radio to be operated, when you switch on the ignition.

So it looks as if you've lost the permanent feed. This could possibly be a blown fuse, a wiring fault, or an internal fault in the radio. Do you have an owner's handbook which tells you what each of the fuses does?

Are you able to slide the radio out by a few inches in order to check that its wiring connectors are plugged in firmly?

When you say that the radio is dead, I wonder whether it has just lost its tuning. If you search for stations, does it then work? Does it have a built-in cassette or CD player? Does that work?

Reply to
Roger Mills

[...]

It was a fuse! I love it when the problem is just a blown fuse!

Reply to
Patricia Butler