1993 850 GLT Alternator?

This car has always had a pulsing effect noticeable at night when the lights are on, and there's an intermittent whining noise from the engine compartment - the alternator I suppose.

I also get a battery light fault indicator on the dash when I stop at a stop sign or red light that goes out immediately upon acceleration.

It's been like this for months.

The battery is always fully charged and never fails to start the car, and nothing else ever goes wrong, but it's a bit puzzling.

If it were an older car, I'd change the voltage regulator. Is there such a part on this car or is this yet another onboard computer, or sticky relay, doing it's weird thing?

Reply to
Happy Trails

It very much sound like the voltage regulator. Wake Up! This is an older car. Shops normally test the voltage regulator, alternator, and battery at the same time. Most shops can do this. Places like Sears will do it for free. If you don't trust Sears, you can go someplace else for a second opinion.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Yes, he should have it tested, but I am not cetain that a place such as Sears or a local car parts store will be able to tell him whether the voltage regulator is the problem.

I say this because in my experience, when having Schucks (car parts store, member of CSK family) test alternators, the result is only PASS / FAIL.

The OP's issue seems a bit too suble to be detected by less than an auto electric shop, or a least someone with a good knowledge of auto electric: which chain store clerks do not have.

Amazing how many people cannot fathom a VOM.

Reply to
Mr. V

I have had experience at Sears. Since they mostly sell batteries and tires, they are anxious to find out if the reason a battery fails is because the cars alternator or regulator is bad. For that reason, they have great diagnostic equipment that their "mechanics" can use. They also use this before installing a battery to make sure the car doesn't ruin the battery. They usually recommend taking a car with a defective voltage regulator to the dealer for service. They mostly want to sell batteries and tires.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

What I meant was if this was a car from back in the 60's or 70's, when most of my automobile repair knowledge was learned, hahaha.

Reply to
Happy Trails