1994 Volvo clutch....

I have a 1994 Volvo 850 turbo five speed and I just had the dealer replace the clutch and they didn't have the clutch plate or whatever they were supposed to machine done and there is noise when I am not on the clutch is this a problem or will the noise go away? They tell me it will go away in a couple days once its broken in is this true? What should I do??

Reply to
king

I'm not familiar with the 850, but in general I've never heard of a clutch noise going away unless it was replaced by something worse.

If they admitted they didn't resurface the flywheel it's likely they didn't replace the pilot bearing in the flywheel, either, and that is usually what makes noise when the clutch is engaged and out of gear. The pilot bearing doesn't come off like the rest of the clutch when the pressure plate is unfastened and is easily forgotten. Or the new one could be bad and the dealer is hoping against the odds that it will magically become good.

If the noise were on an old clutch, I'd recommend you ignore it until the clutch had to be done anyway since pilot bearings rarely seize - they can make that noise for many years. But a new clutch shouldn't do that. Put your complaint in writing and lean hard on the dealer when you still have the noise next week. That is below professional standards for a clutch job - heck, its below my amateur standards.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thx... The clutch was quiet before I had it changed . the car now sounds like a diesel truck but when I engage the clutch the sound goes away??? I just want the problem fixed!! I'll see what they say!

Reply to
king

I would return to the Volvo dealer & tell the service advisor who you dealt with that you are very unhappy with the work performed & you want to have this corrected @ no cost to you& if the adviser trys to brush you off then ask to speak to the service manager as it is his job to make sure that the customer is happy with the repairs personally as others have said this is very unprofessional to be told this & you should not waste a lot of time contact the dealer Monday morning & make time to get the car back to the dealer so this repair can be done correctly the 2nd time around Glenn ASE Certified Automotive Technician Volvo Master Technician

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Reply to
<djmcreynolds1