1995 440 GL

Greetings everyone.

I am buying a 1995 440 2.0 GL with 108 BHP The car has only driven 128000 kilometors, and looks really nice, does anyone know what i should be looking for in this model?

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Dahl

I'm far from a mechanical expert, but in my experience (on two 95 440s), it's the annoying little things that go wrong: dashboard bulbs, electric aerial, courtesy light etc. The 440s were never as tough as the "proper" Volvos but I think the electrics were a particular weakness.

Cheers, Richard

Reply to
Richard Carter

Give the gearbox a good work out as well. We've had three 440's and the only complaint I have with them is the gearbox can get hard to engage as the miles increase.

Other than that, there are no specifics I can think of. I've never felt the electronics were that weak on these cars, my 240 is worse, but do have a good look at the central locking - make sure the key fits all the locks! Instrument bulbs too, as Richard said, tend to go and aren't that easy to replace.

Build quality is not quite up to the standard of the 'old' Volvo's, but it's better than the equivalent Ford, Vauxhall, VW stuff of that era. So check the trim is all in place. If it's had any impact it will show in the bumpers - they are hard to put on properly after they've become deformed.

They're good cars, just be careful with the back end going fast in the wet. I'm on my third 440, I crashed the last two. First one died because I lost it on a corner and ploughed into a tree, second one died because I was hit on the motorway and the insurers wrote it off. Safe as houses though, I didn't feel a thing either time and they were both 'big' shunts. The radios got better by 1995 too :)

David

Reply to
David Balfour

Okay, thanks alot guys, i am looking forward to driving my "new" used volvo. Cheers

"David Balfour" skrev i en meddelelse news:jvP1f.21850$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...

Reply to
Michael Dahl

Hi, we have a 1.8 440, we already did 245000 kilometers. Very good car. Good mileage, very good road behaviour. I had a couple of times other cars getting in front of me (where I couldnt help it) so I had to do an emergency brake - the car does exactly what you want it to do, also outside normal usage. This really is some extra safety, my other car (recently sold) was a Peugoet 309 that could not have handled it and have led me into a crash.

Just one minor thing: you must check around the rear wheels for rust. Where the outer plating and bottomplating touch each other. Check if the overlap is thicker. It is not really a problem. When there is rust, clean it thourougly, paint it, and from the inside add tectyl (the one that stays soft). No problems anymore. If you don't fix it, the rust will go on, around the corner and eventually become visible.

Pieter

Reply to
Me