1995 Volvo 850 - Loud A/C noise.

I recently bought a 1995 850 GLT. When I turn on the A/C, I think the compressor is making too much noise. Should it be fairly loud or is this a bad sign? The A/C also stops cooling from time to time, especially in hot temperatures. I recall reading about a switch that often appears to over-heat and there by turning off the A/C. This seems like my problem. Any thoughts? Thanks Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Phillips

Sounds like the charge is low, the compressor may also be failing, it should be almost silent.

Reply to
James Sweet

AC compressors can become rather noisy as they become older. While any noise is not a good thing I have seen compressors run for months even years with slight buzzing noises. Knocking or grinding noises are a different story, they should be attended to in short order. When your AC stops cooling check to see if the compressor clutch is engaged. If it is, it may only be a refrigerant issue. If the clutch is not engaged CAREFULLY unplug the wire from the clutch and probe the harness side of the connector with a test light.If the light lights, you more than likely have a bad compressor clutch. If the light does not light the problem is electrical. The over heat switch you are referring to was not used on all models, however, it is easy enough to locate and test. If you follow the harness terminal you just checked with the test light, it will either go directly into the wiring harness or around the back side of the compressor and into a little round screw-in plug. Another wire will come out of this plug and into the wiring harness. That screw-in plug is the over heat switch. You can bypass the switch by simply rerouting the harness wire over to the wire coming off the compressor clutch.

Reply to
Ron