1995 Volvo 960 Accessory (Serpentine) Belt

I am wondering if there is anyone out there who can answer a question about my 1995 Volvo 960.

Yesterday the Serpentine Belt broke on my wife whilst she was driving home from an errand. Naturally the car kept running on the battery, and my wife didn't stop, she just drove till the battery ran out.

I got the car home and upon inspection I realized that the AC Compressor went "tango uniform". It's grinding and making all sorts of horrible noises when it is spun.

My question is is it possible to replace the belt in such a way that bypasses the compressor? A new one will be prohibitively expensive I am sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Robert in Massachusetts

Reply to
Robert Lombardi II

If the AC is not turned on the clutch should not engage allowing the pully to spin freely. If it won't the compressor clutch is locked up. Rare but possible.

Reply to
Rod Gray

Rod

The wierd part is that it seems the compressor is siexed and the part that the belt rides on is turning very 'umsmoothly' my fear is that it will cause another belt failure.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Lombardi II

Sounds like the A/C compressor's clutch siezed, as well as the compressor. You might get away with just replacing the clutch and not turning it on. Or, get a compressor from a junkyard. You could buy a dead one with good clutch and use it OK without working A/C, if that's OK with you.

POSSIBLT a helpful parts store will look up those belts by length, not just by what-fits-what, and thus sell you one that will fit if you mount it bypassing the compressor completely. You might have to use trial-and-error to find the right length. Be sure to save the info if you do, so you can buy another one day when you need it. You do this kind of thing at your own risk, you know.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ To send email, remove all < > and [ ] and the junk ~ between: [brucepick1] < a~t > [comcast.net]

Robert Lombardi II wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Pick

Hi Robert,

If you measure the distance around the rest of the pulleys, you might be able tp purchase a belt of the right size. I'm not intimately familiar with your car (Used to much older Volvos) but have had similar problem with the Ford F450 Chassis ambulance I used to drive in the fire department. The trick is to make sure that the "strait line" between the pulleys on either side of the belt "threading" pattern have nothing in between that the belt could hit if hte AC compressor is out of the way.

Another thought is that if the compressor is grinding or bindign up only when the ac is turned on ( it often turns on automatically when the defrosters are turned on even if the AC switch is off) try disconnecting the plug on the clutch. This will ensure that the clutch remains disengaged, and should allow the unit to free spin until it can be worked on.The only time this is incorrect is if the bearings in the clutch are completely shot. When replacing the belt, also check the idler (tensioner) pully for signs of excess slop. When they go, they can often seize up and shred the belt as well.

Again, my knowledge is not Volvo specific, but based on experience with other vehicles with serpentine belts. Hope this is useful.

Scott S. Baltimore, MD

Reply to
savage1