1995 Volvo GLT

Can anyone tell me if the 1995 Volvo GLT's had Turbo ...or was this an option .... ? If it was an option, was there any special body badging designating a Turbo model ( for GLT ).

Thanks.

Reply to
Rod

In 1995 the USA had 4 models:

Sedan or Wagon (168 hp) GLT Sedan or Wagon (168 hp) Turbo Sedan or Wagon (222 hp) T-5 R Turbo Sedan or Wagon (240 hp)

So the GLT didn't have a turbo. I am not sure what the badging was. I am fairly certain they had a "turbo" badge for the turbos.

The GLT meant it had: Power Seats, Moon Roof, and Alloy Wheels standard. The Turbo had this and: Leather and Turbo standard. The T-5 R had this and: Dual Power Seats standard.

Check:

Stephen Henning

Of course, which letter designations have which engines depends on the market you're in. In North America the 850 GLT got the light pressure turbo engine in 1997 model year. Before that they had the 20 valve non turbo.

Reply to
Mike F

Depends what model and country. The GLT badge and model schema has never been very consistent, it just means 'sports model'. 'Turbo' did mean 'super sports model' for a while, then came the 'R' meaning 'seriously f**king fast'.

In the past many models of 940 have had turbos but it has not been advertised in the model name, as they have been slightly castrated with low pressure.

In the UK

240 GLTs had 16V non-turbo, compared to non-GLTs 360 GLTs had 8V non-Turbo and injection, compared to non-GLTs

I don't think there has been a 940 or 740 GLT. These can be denoted by 'SE Turbo' (Sports Edition) but most later slowish 940s had low pressure turbos and didn't show it in the model name.

Having said all that, you did leave a clue to the model as you said

1995, 240s and 360s were not made in 1995.

In 850s a speedy turbo has been denoted by T5, T5R, R, other model may have it but if its not shown in the name its probably a slower verison. 'GLT' was always a little lower in sport ranking than 'Turbo'. I am not aware of any 850s that used Turbos in models only showing GLT in the model.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

They offered a 240 with the 16V motor? Over here and in Canada the GLT was a car outfitted with all the accessories and trim of a turbo car, but without the turbo. It got the standard B21F that the DL cars had, but with leather, 5 spoke "turbo" rims, black trim, etc.

Reply to
James Sweet