1996 850 - Remote central locking????

How can I determie if my car had RCL fitted? It has the central locking function operted by the door key, and I have sourced a very cheap used remote but the coding procedure dos not work (turn ignition on 5 times then press remote button). There is no LED on the top of the dash board, but there is a removeable cover about 1 x 1.5 inches in the centre of the dash right against the windscreen. Removing this shows two wires (purple and white), but no LED.

Does this indicate no RCL was ever fitted.

What is the process to retrofit if this is the case?

TIA

Chris in Sydney, AUS

Reply to
Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm live in Sydney AUS too, and my "bought in Sydney" '96 850-S does not have RCL. One way to definitely check is to look where the remote receiver would be located, and if you don't have one, you don't have RCL. Unfortunately, you have to remove the glove box, as it's located to left of that space. Don't know if you could reach up and feel without removing the glove box. Then there's the problem of recognising it.

To retro fit I guess you'd need the receiver and of course the key fob transmitters. I don't know if you'd need more than just plugging the receiver in. I suspect that would be all you'd need. Mine has the wiring for it in place. Maybe someone could confirm if this is all you'd need to do.

By the way, mine came with 3 keys (all have the immobiliser transponders fitted internally). The 3rd key is a "service" key will not fit the glove box or the boot. It will open the doors and operate the engine ignition only. You can disable central locking on the boot by turning the master key anti-clockwise to a horizontal position when you lock it and then remove the key in this position. By operating the rear seat backrest latches in the boot first, you can make the boot inaccessable to those with only the service key.

This is all in the owners' manual.

regards Barry

Reply to
Baz