1996 Volvo 850 - Strange noise from rear axle?

Not sure what this is ... but I'm having a honning noise that appears to go along with the wheel rotation. As I start off, it's a load honning, slowly getting faster as I drive faster ... as the car warms up it appears to go away. Also, I notice it more on cold damp days then dry hot days. We thought it may be breaks ... but the pads are new (I'm assuming the calipers are fine too ... although they were not replaced) ... anyone ever have this noise and have insight into what it is? I'm reluctant to go to Swedish Motors (or any mechanic) and tell them that I have a wierd noise ... please fix! Likely they would fine a whole lot of stuff "wrong" ...

thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jimbo

... been a long day ... please excuse all my spelling/grammar errors on the post.

load/loud breaks/brakes fine/find

thanks,

Jimbo

Jimbo wrote:

Reply to
Jimbo

Hrrm ... does it appear to come from the left rear part of the car? I'll try the Emerg. Brake to see if it makes a difference.

thanks

M K wrote:

Reply to
Jimbo

Maybe it's a wheel bearing going ? They make a humming noise tho :)

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray