1997 2.5TDi Manual gearbox oil type ?

I am planning on changing the gearbox oil in my 1997 V70 2.5TDi with a manual gearbox....

Can anyone tell me the recommended / best oil to use for the replacement please ?

I guess if it had been listed there might be better oils available 10 years on...

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick

_____ I recommend RedLine products. Very fine oils indeed. I put RedLine oil in the gearbox (M47) and the differential of my 1989 Volvo 240.

Local suppliers usually carry that brand.

Reply to
jch

Thanks JCH -

However I should have said I am in the UK and don't think its commonly available over here. What weight / spec is manual gearbox oil ? And any idea the capacity of a drained box ?

Thanks

Nick

Reply to
Nick

It's okay but only some gearboxes benefit. My memory is dim, but one of the cars I had in the past needed it because the synchros were balky at the prescribed level. The downside is that the gears slow more quickly between shifts. Good to some extent while upshifting but a complication while downshifting.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Nick" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Iqj9i.1706$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...

The question concerning this specific Volvo Part Volvo P/N 11 61 423-7 Oil has been discussed with the title

"M90 gearbox - Oil?" , a thread started on 20.4.2007 in this newsgroup.

According to the VADIS for your car the same oil is recommended. You should find a clue in this thread.

Regards Viktor

Die e-mail im Header wird nie gelesen Persönliche e-mail vikwei klammeräffchen gmx pünktchen at

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl

I believe that the Volvo gearbox oil for the M56 model is 5w30 oil, fully synthetic.

Greetings Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

"Niels Bengaard" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:f46inj$15ho$ snipped-for-privacy@newsbin.cybercity.dk...

I think the easiest method is to go to one of the big oil companies´ local website and question the "oilfinder" section with the data of your car. According to what I can distill from Nicks posting, he´s living in the UK, so I looked at the UK-website of Shell:

As a result:

Shell in the UK suggests for your car:

Make VOLVO Model S70, V70 2.5 Turbodiesel Engine DT Year 1997-01 Application Recommendation Capacity (ltr) Engine (DT) HELIX PLUS 10W-40 (w) 6 Manual Transmission SPIRAX ASX 75W-90 Automatic Transmission DONAX TX 7.6 Differential From Gearbox Coolant (50%) Glycoshell Concentrate (u) 12.2 Wheel Bearings Transmission (AW55 50SN) REFER TO OWNERS HANDBOOK Brake Fluid Brake and Clutch Fluid DOT 4

On the other hand the Swedish website suggests to contact technical support of Shell:

manuell Volym 2,1 literIntervall/förhållande: StandardProdukter: Kontakta vår tekniska supportKontrollera/Byt: Kontrollera 15000 km / 12 månader You might try also with one of the other big oil companies in the UK yourself.

Regards Viktor The e-mail in the header is never read personal e-mail vikwei at gmx dot at

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl

This is definately wrong- I know for a fact that the M56 'box doesnt use a heavy weight 75+ viscosity oil. Its more along the lines of a 5w-30 / 10w-40 style, but we need to know the exact specification...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

"Tim.." schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:N9udnT11w6n5X snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Interesting. When I was looking for the correct oil for my automatic gearbox, I contacted Shell in Austria and they called me back and I had an informative talk with a competent person. So maybe a call to Shell in the UK would shed light on the question. I wonder why Volvo constructed such a secret world around the oil specifications. Have other car companies similar secrets around such a simple thing as lubricants?

Regards Viktor

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl

Not sure which "M number" box mine has, other than it is a manual, 5 speed + reverse, on a Feb 1997

5 cylinder direct injection diesel and which takes 7 litres of engine oil( Oh - the Audi engine, someone once said)

anyway...

I spoke to my bloke today who is ex Volvo and whilst he didn't know, he rang his mate at a transmission company who confirmed your thoughts (Tim) pretty much exactly... this coupled with the dealer I dropped in on last night who showed me some Volvo booklet which said Part No "ZXDVVBHJK" or something ( i.e. nothing illuminating), although it did say Fully Synthetic and 2.1 Litres capacity, so I reckon for our climate either a good quality 5W-30 or 10W-40 fully synthetic engine oil ( which he also said is commonly spec'd for manual gearboxes) will be what it ends up.. I'll keep researching though, out of interest, for a while....

Anyone else ??

Thanks all

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Nick,

I also have a 2.5 TDi with manual, though a 98 V70, and also want to change the gearbox oil. Did you do the job as yet, and if so, what do I need to know? Did you end up using engine oil?

Bill

Reply to
bill.schweitzer

Hi Bill,

Yes - done it and I got several replies saying it is just a good quality fully synthetic engine oil, so that's what I used and its been fine for about 9 days and 500 miles - seems to be just like it was before...

Nick

Reply to
Nick