1997 965 check engine light

Hi all, I have a 1997 965 and the check engine light is on, along with the up arrow from the transmission and blinking lights on the transmission mode. I used an OBD2 scanner from IPD, and it came back with no codes. Is the scanner reading engine codes, and I have a transmission code? or the scanner is not set to read all the codes? Any suggestions? Thanks Arnold

1997 965 1993 245
Reply to
Arnold

The check engine light can come on because the transmission computer has "asked" for it to come on. You need to fix what is causing the up arrow light to come on / mode lights to flash. And you need a Volvo specific reader to retrieve these codes, although it is commonly the gear position switch.

Reply to
Mike F

The codes will be for the transmission position sensor. It's a switch on the right side of the transmission behind the exhaust pipe. When it gets full of salt and sand it kicks the light on. It the fault becomes permanent it puts the transmission into limp home mode.

Bob

Reply to
User

Thanks to all for your responses , I went to the brickboard and found a thread on the PNP switch and did a quick test, I put the car in neutral and shifted through the gears about 20 times, then started the car, and sure enough the up arrow on the dash and the blinking mode light on the transmission went away, surely pointing to a faulty PNP switch. Any pointers in replacing it, I read it is located on the transmission behind the exhaust somewhere.

Thanks

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold