1998 S70

We are looking for a first car for our 18-year-old son. We found a 1998 S70 on ebay which happens to be located in our area. The car has 175,000 miles. The auction says "local trade" but the car has a New Jersey dealership name plate on the back. I haven't sprung for the Carfax report yet.

What sort of maintenance issues might I expect from an S70 of this vintage? It evidently is not a turbo. Some of the issues listed on the auction page are evidently common with this model. Safety is our main concern, so we are leaning toward a Volvo of some description. Any advice will be appreciated. Here is the vehicle description from the auction:

Vehicle Description

1998 volvo s70. Local trade. This car is in good condition runs and drives great and looks good. this vehicle has a lot of equipment and ice cold a/c. I have receipts dating back a year for tires oil changes and a recent tune up. the car is mechanically sound with a few minor flaws. there is a dent on the driver side rear corner see pics. The driver rear door will not unlock. the power door locks does not operate the pass door. there is a stain on the driver side floor behind the driver seat. I can not get the radio to come on. the paint is glossy and looks great other than a few minor scratches on the trunk. The car needs nothing to drive anywhere.

Thanks

Reply to
Bubba

do your carfax report and have a VOLVO mechanic(of your choosing) do a check up...pay attention to compression...good luck !!

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^