1998 v70 tailgate

Hello, The wife's 1998 v70 tailgate has become difficult to close. Prior to this problem, the tailgate would latch/lock with minimal effort. Now, we have to slam it hard in order for it to stay latched shut (i.e., if I push down, it will latch but with some play...if I grab the tailgate handle and slam it, then about 1 out of every 4 attempts, it will catch and stay shut with no play).

There is not anything debris that I can tell to be interfering. The inside door trim is loose, so I ordered a repair kit, but that does not appear to be affecting the ability to close shut.

I've attempted to google the issue and have seen some issues that are close (recommendations being to blow air and relube), but have not yet found anything specifically describing the issue...the other posts seem to involve the latch not releasing or the handle mechanism not working, all of which work in my case).

Anyone else experience this issue?

TIA. Dave

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

Stupid answer but has the receiver worked lose and just needs a tighten up.

Reply to
carololine

I had a similar problem. Pop out the plastic covers on the floor gaining access to the latch bolts. Loosen the bolts (TORX) and move them towards the rear of the car and tighten. Try closing the tailgate. Repeat until it closes easily.

Good luck.

tom snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
bfiske

Nothing is loose that I can tell.

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

I will try that.

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

You can put a screw driver in the lock receiver to imitate the receiver, this was you can check to see if its the receiver or the tailgate lock is the problem.

Reply to
carololine

Carololine - I lubed the lock receiver last night and it does appear to be working fine, but the problem persists. I ran out of time last night before I could test moving the bolts (as suggested in another message), but will try that today/tomorrow.

TY

Reply to
tom_sawyer70