1998 Volvo s70 stuff

The brake discs need to be replaced if they are worn to below the minimum permissible thickness, are badly scored, or run out by more than the permitted amount. Otherwise keep them. I certainly wouldn't replace perfectly good discs just because they have done a certain mileage.

Don't know about the second question.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

How important is it to replace the rotors on a 98 s70 after 60-70k? (I've been told it's imperative).

I can appreciate perfection but if it can wait, so be it.

The braking is smooth...there is some wear in the rotors but as long as they do the job, I don't care what they look like.

Also, typically how often should a midwest car (my S70) need more AC refrigerant? If I'm getting a certain temperature out of the vents....I'm ok?

What temperature should it typically read?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
EBG

Unless there is a manufacturing problem with the disks they only need to be replaced when they are worn below minimum spec. 60k sounds awful low to me unless they were warped badly enough that they couldn't be turned.

Refrigerant doesn't wear out like motor oil. All auto systems leak a little, but those leaks are so small now that it is very likely you will sell the car before the a/c system needs refrigerant. If it is cool inside and your happy don't worry about it. The system has protection to stop the compressor should the pressure get so low that damage was eminent.

Toooooo many variables! Outside temp, heat load, humidity, engine rpm, vehicle speed etc... If it is cooling the car ok don't worry about it.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

"EBG" opined in news:- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I believe that the minimum thickness for the rotors is 23mm and the pads is definitely 3mm. At those thicknesses, you need to replace the pads and rotors. And, the rotors cannot be turned any longer.

I'll let others tackle the A/C problem. I've always let the experts tell me I need a recharge, only if I am not getting the cooling power out of the A/C that I want. You can also increase the efficiency with an ELECTRIC cooling fan mounted on the A/C condensor so as it either PULLS air or PUSHES air thru the condensor thus dispursing the heat from the condensor.

Reply to
Graefaxe

Theoretically never, the AC is for all practical purposes a sealed system, if it works leave it alone.

Reply to
James Sweet

My 98' S70 currently has 110,000 miles on the clock. So far it is still on the origonal rotors and I have only ever had to change the pads once (at

60,000 for the front and 70,000 at the rear). This is a car that has been services by the same main dealer all it's life so if they needed doing, I am pretty sure my dealer would have told me.

As my car is getting older, I have found that every 2 years seems to be about right.

Reply to
Networkguy

With experience of 2 850s and an '98 S70 I've found anywhere between 50 and

70k is about the usual life for front brake rotors (discs) I would only replace them when they are either so thin they've warped, are badly grooved, or the lip is so large you cant get the caliper over it to change the pads. I would suggest about 70k would be a reasonable mileage for mixed use,however if you just run on the freeway and only lightly use the brakes you'll do a greater distance. In this case its the rear pads and discs which will need replacement sooner as they tend to corrode badly when under used.

Our S70 is alittle short on gas at the moment- the symptoms of this is regular cycling of the compressor clutch caused by the low pressure switch cutting it out when the ambient air is warmer and the system is calling for cold. The rad fan will only run occasionally. With the ambient temperature lower you will find it functions normally and the compressor will run whenever the system needs it.

Most manual A/C systems should reach 4 degree's at the central vents with recirc on, an interior temp of about 18deg and the fan on speed 2 with the engine at a fast tickover (1500rpm)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Have you checked out this website "