1999 S80 Brake Failure, Pull Over A.S.A.P. Message

Hello:

I have just purchased a used '99 S80. I was driving about 30mph through town when my car told me that I had a brake failure and I needed to pull over ASAP. My brakes seemed fine, so i wasn't in immediate concern, but I pulled over at my convienence and turned the car off and back on again. Everything fine, all red lights are errors were gone.

I am concerned that possibly the alternator or regulator might be a problem. When I have the engine running and I look up at the interior light, I can see a slight unpatterned flicker very faintly. When I look at the battery voltage at the post under the hood to several different grounds, I'm seeing flucuations from like 13.65-13.85 volts constantly. To me that sounds reasonable, but I wonder if it maybe takes a large spike or sag at times when your driving, possibly causing a computer to trip or malfunction.

Has anybody any experience with a problem like this? It seems like this car has issues with ABS, STC module. It has 97,000 miles on it.

I hope that I didn't make a mistake trading in my Isuzu Trooper -- that was a very reliable vehicle for me...

Sincerely,

Deacon Eisenhart

Reply to
assa

There will probably be some codes stored, you need to find a garage with the VADIS system to read them. This will point you in the right direction as far as any repairs are concerned.

Reply to
Mike F

Hello:

I have an OBDII code scanner that returns no codes from the main computer. Do you know if that computer would store the codes or if it is a special computer code scanner for the braking system? What is the VADIS system, some special Volvo diagnostic?

Deac>>

Reply to
assa

Basically that's correct. VADIS stands for Volvo Aftersales Diagnostic Information System.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Different voltage drops on different points are normal with electrical systems... Wire resistance and corrosion and contact pressure etc can change readings... 0.2 Volts is not too much... You won't see fluctuations on a digital multimeter - they measure RMS voltage over an average of around 1 second per update... You might see problems on a really good analogue meter (but probably not, you would most likely need an oscilloscope).

Voltage spikes/dips could cause all sorts of random problems - especially with electronics.

I don't really know what's wrong with your car, just telling you some general electrical knowledge I have learned (doing apprenticeship to be a Mechatronics+Controls/Industrial Electrician)

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Hi:

Fortunately, I have received this message for two days. Since the car really hasn't been driven much in about a year, perhaps it is just stretching ...

I have read some interesting comments to avoid this car - many little gremlins. I'm hoping that with the 97k miles on it that recalls and parts that needed replaced have been taken care of.

I really enjoy driving this car.

Thanks,

Deacon

Reply to
assa

I meant to say have not received the message... :)

Deacon

Reply to
assa

Reply to