1999 v70 starting problem...

1999 V70 2WD Wagon.

The last 2 times I've gone on vacation and the car has sat idle for 8 and 13 days respectively I've had a very difficult time getting the car started. These incidents were 6 months apart, one in July the other in December. With the exception of these vacations the car gets used almost every days, occasionally it gets a weekend off.

Battery is believed fine. Lights/electronics appear OK. Starter is turning engine but engine will not fire.

The first time the problem appeared it took 15-30 minutes of starting attempts to get it going.

After that I had no problems starting the car, 6 months later I go on vacation again on returning the car will not start. This 2nd incident it took much more effort to get it to start. Over a two day period the 3rd half hour session yielded success.

Car has started without issue the last 10 days.

suggestions?

bewildered-

Reply to
newsuser

Assuming you have a starter immobiliser...

I have a 2000 V70 2wd wagon that had a similar problem.

When the weather changed in the fall, once in a while I had trouble with starting. The engine kept turning over.

I would pull the key out, wait a few seconds, and then try again. (As though I flooded a carburetor) It would then start.

I mentioned to the dealer...never heard of such problem. They suggested using the other key for a while to see if the problem would continue. Their thinking was the chip in the key for the vehicle immobiliser.

Same occurrences with the second key.

When the starting problem happened again, I pulled out the key, flipped it over, put it back in and tried starting the car...it started immediately. (Fluke!) The several other times when I could not start the car, I flipped the key and it started...(personally, I think it was a fluke every time).

In the end, the dealer changed the antenna that is around the ignition keyhole...been a few weeks and everything is fine.

Matt First time owner, long time looker

Reply to
Matt