2000 S80 overheating

I just purchased a used 2000 S80 6 weeks ago from a dealership and am having issues with the engine overheating. It's happened to me twice now but since it's not a powertrain issue, the dealer is refusing to fix it. The most recent occurrence happened on a drive from New Jersey to DC, where the entire ride was perfect until I hit traffic in DC. The temp needle jumped from normal straight up and down to pegged in the red in under 5 minutes. I pulled over and turned the heater on full blast which knocked it down a notch but noticed that the fan wasn't running**. Still very high but at least out of the "danger" zone and it's since been working correctly. Since it's an intermittant problem, I am thinking that it's a faulty thermostat that is the culprit. Does anyone have any experience changing this out? I've been quoted a service time of 2 1/2 hours to replace (at $99/hour) and since it's only a thermostat I didn't think it would be this big a deal. However, I cannot find a Chilton or Haynes manual ANYWHERE for this year/model of Volvo. If anybody could point me to a link to either purchase the manual or with the thermostat replacement procedure listed, I would really appreciate it. TIA, Dave

**Side note: the dealer did replace the fan from the recall announcement. I have yet to verify if this is actually working since it was not at the time of the overheating. I would think it would be but since it's an automatic fan and I'm new to Volvo and am not sure if this is "normal" operation or not.
Reply to
dsheeler

There's a recall on the fan motor.

Reply to
Brian V

If you just purchased from a dealer six weeks ago you should return as the car should still be covered by the CPO warranty & should be repaired if you purchased from a non Volvo dealer then your complaint is with the selling dealer As for the thermostat it is behind the timing belt cover it comes in a kit with a thermostat & gasket for the housing you do not have to remove the timing belt to perform just make sure that the car is cold & you release any pressure in the system before removing it Also post back & let me what happens so I may be able to advise on the next step Glenn Volvo Master Technician ASE Certified Technician

Reply to
Glenn Klein

thanks Glenn. Do I have to drain the radiator since it would appear the thermostat is set lower then it? Also, do you know where I can find a repair manual for this vehicle? It would seem as if Chilton stopped making volvo manuals after 1998.

Reply to
dsheeler

Were you in stop and go traffic at the time of the overtemp? This would point more to the cooling fan rather than the thermostat since you had no problem until you slowed down.

Allen

Reply to
Allen

could be a faulty guage...does it seem actually hotter than usual under the bonnet?

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Oh yeah, that thing is COOKIN' under there. It happened again last night and the message center gave me a message saying something like "Engine service is critical". I opened the hood and the engine compartment was very hot.

Reply to
Dave S.

heat can do massive damage to the volvo's ...i would not drive it any more...have it towed to the dealer or your volvo shop and let them take a look....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Well, good news. The dealer has agreed to take the car back and perform what ever repairs are necessary. Do you think I could get them to cover future repairs for say, a year out in case something else is wrong or will the past repair record serve as proof the car was not in good working order at purchase?

Reply to
Dave S.

what was the problem?

Reply to