2000 v70 turbo wagon- problem with low gas light

ok, my wife keeps running out of gas (duh) so i am ready to tackle this problem: the gas gauge works perfectly, as well as the digital readout (mpg,miles til empty,etc) but the gas light does not come on when gas is low. the bulb lights when you start the car, so its not a burnt out bulb. :) anyone know where the troubleshooting process starts? Thanks!! robbie

Reply to
robbie

Yes, with the brain. You re-program it to fill up when the miles til empty says 50 (say).

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger, you missed the part about where I said my WIFE keeps running out of gas...I already told her to fill it before empty, but her brain evidently CANT be re-programmed to grasp that concept! :)

Reply to
robbie

In that case, you've got a user error. Replace user and press any key to continue.

Honestly, next time she runs out of fuel, don't rush to get to her, it's her own fault or put a can of fuel in the back of the car!

Richard Web pages:

for caravanning,
for my personal web site and
because I love the email address.

Reply to
Richard Cole

robbie schrieb:

No no Robbie: You missed the concept of women! Next time she runs out of fuel, do not answer any phone or don't help her out of her misery and she will be learning extremely quickly....

I really don't feel sorry for you at all! ;-)

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

No I didn't. I didn't specify *whose* brain - and was aware that it was your wife.

In that case, a light ain't going to make much difference!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Well, you have to figure out what triggers the light. Is it driven by a chip or by a connection on the gauge. Does the light ever come on after she has run out of gas? In my situation I would just call the service writer at my local Volvo dealer. He was a mechanic for many years and knows the cars inside out.

BTW, I understand your predicament and believe it can be traced to the missing Y chromosone in females. My lovely wife can ignore the milage computer, gas gauge and warning light completely.

Reply to
Roadie

The red light is just the 2x4 that hits you over the head so you look at the gas gauge. A car doesn't need the idiot light unless an idiot is driving. The fix is to get a good safe gas can and put it in the back. After she uses that a few times she will open her eyes. I guess the problem there is she would just use up that gas and not fill the car AND the gas can. She just needs motivation. It is like a friends wife that kept over drawing their checking account. She couldn't figure out why because she still had checks left.

Good Luck!!

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Yes, now I see. Life's problems made simple by dictated solutions. Must be a lot of fun at your place.

Reply to
Roadie

Naw, just work-arounds. When life deals you lemons you make lemonade.

I am not one to run to the shop for a trivial problem. I usually just keep track of it and wait until I go in for routine maintenance. I would much prefer to drive my Volvo rather than sit and wait for a mechanic to work on some trivial problem like an idiot light. To each his own.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Sounds as though your wife is a pampered sort (add-ethnic-group- American Princess) who has never really learned the concepts behind driving (auto maintenance, mechnics, etc.)

Quietly enroll her in a women's automotic course, and also tell her that she has to refill the car at least once a week or more frequently if she's doing a lot of driving.

My wife? She's a better mechanic and driver than I am. She's the one with the red S40T while I chunk around in the silver V40T. The only thing that I have to do for her WRT the car is to take it over to the local shop (Suters in Aurora) on my work-at-home days when it's due for maintenance.

Reply to
byrocat

there is seriously nothing wrong with the car ,its your wife thats the problem .IT COST NO MORE TO KEEP A CAR FULL THAN EMPTY.Running out of fuel is such a dangerous habit as to where it may happen .In the mean time tell your sweet wife to fill the car once it gets down to a quarter of a tank .The damage done trying to get the car running when its out of fuel is enormous , besides the personal safety issue .

Reply to
John Robertson

That is complete nonsense. The warning light IS NOT working on the original posters car. He is looking for a solution and not the ramblings of yet another internet troll.

Instead of posting purposeless messages why don't you try making a contribution and find a solution to the problem with the gas gauge. Of course for you to contribute something useful to this forum you will have to some understanding about how Volvo cars operate. Your comments lead me to conclude that you have little automotive knowlege and really just enjoy the negative attention that comes from posting nasty messages.

Reply to
Roadie

So do you have a solution to the original problem - or don't *you* have any understanding of how Volvos operate either?

Reply to
Roger Mills

My oh my, there seems to be a bit of tension on this topic...

I don't own a 2000, but I had a '98 V70XC and we had the same problem happen. We narrowed ours down to an ECU problem. We took it in for a emmisions test and when the idiot plugged the tester into the OBDII port, he gave me a look that I knew something was wrong -- and they he goes "Wow, I've never seen that before. Let's try resetting it." Eventually we get done the emissions test, and they gave us a complementary state inspection, and nothing was wrong...the only difference was that the gas light didn't work. Everything else was fine, gas guage included. Long story short, we took it to Bill Kidd's Volvo in Maryland and the state paid for the ECU re-program. I can't remember the price, but I don't think it was too bad.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Robert

I provided suggestions for checking out the cause of the gauge problem, in answer to the original posters question. So far all you two have managed to do is provide immature responses designed mostly to draw attention.

Reply to
Roadie

All we have done is to point out that, whilst the light may be a 'nice to have', it is by no means essential - and anyone with a modicum of intelligence (without which they shouldn't be driving!) can easily circumvent its absense.

Reply to
Roger Mills

And your response of course has absolutely no bearing on the question asked by the original poster. It's nothing more than a way of playing the juvenile game of look-at-me for the outrageous statement I just made. The end result is of course you get to look back at all of the messages you have trolled with your posting.

Reply to
Roadie

My word, you *have* got the bit between your teeth, haven't you!

I think that if you look at my posting record in this newsgroup, you'll find that - on the whole - I've provided helpful answers to sensible questions, but this . . .

[It would have been different if the OP had simply asked how to fix a broken low-fuel light - but couched in terms of "my wife keeps running out of fuel because she's too stupid to look at the fuel gauge" - it was less likely to receive a sympathetic response!]
Reply to
Roger Mills

Useful and considerate comments like this: "Yes, with the brain. You re-program it to fill up when the miles til empty says 50 (say). "

Reply to
Roadie