2000 Volvo S80 battery problems

I recently had the battery of my S80 replaced. The car was dead one day and after getting the new battery I thought everything was fine, until about a week later the car was dead again. Now this seems to happen at least once a week, and the car has to be jump started. Does anybody know if this is an alternator problem, or am I missing something? Also, some interior lights and the sunroof is not working. I have already checked the fuses, so those are good. Thanks in advance for any help. Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy

I doubt that anyone on this forum would know what the problem is without testing. Could be the alternator isn't putting out enough. Could also be a short somewhere.

You may want to take the car back to whoever replaced the battery and ask them to find the problem.

Reply to
Roadie

take it to a shop who will diag. the problem for you......

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Reply to
John Robertson

Reply to
Jeremy

my $,02.>> ...the s80;s are complex electrical machines...when i run into electrical issues...its pretty much to the local volvo tec for opiions and help...they have the tools and diag eq to do the job quickly and reach a correct diagnose..(sp?)........i beileve there is a whole computer network w/in the car...w/fiber optic wiring and "devices" throughout the car...something i could screw up in no time......good luck !!!

for globes being left on , stuck relays .faulty earth connections

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

for globes being left on , stuck relays .faulty earth connections

Today, I found the source problem to the whole electrical issue. I had the battery replaced at a local Wal-Mart and noticed yesterday that the ground cable from the negative terminal of the battery to the frame was loose. Apparently, the tech had loosened the bolt holding the cable to the frame. This bolt is not clearly visible when looking in the trunk, but after tightening, there have not been any more problems as of yet. I returned the alternator, and have hopefully fixed the problem. I guess that is what I get for taking it to Wal- Mart. Should have known better!!

Reply to
Jeremy