2001 V70 T5 Steering shake

Hello, I have a 2001 V70 T5 w/ 17" wheels. I had a bad steering wheel shake, noticeable at low speeds (10mpg). I had all the tires changed and balanced, and there is still a slight shake, noticieable between

25mph and 50mph or so. I then took it to the Volvo Dealer (Roger Beasley, Austin, TX). They told me everything with the suspension is fine, and that 3 of the 4 tires were out of balance! This was two days after I had purchased new tires/balancing.

Is this slight shake normal on Volvo's? I don't know what else could be wrong with this. I do not trust Roger Beasley Volvo either.

Thanks, BJ Surhoff

Reply to
Brian Surhoff

The slight shake is not normal. If you have a vibration that is present without using the brakes, then one of the rotating masses (usually wheels, but can be driveshafts or brake rotors) is out of balance, or out of round. Out of round is not too hard to check yourself. There are lots of poor wheel balancers out there, I've seen cases where the wheels are worse after "balancing" than they would be with no weights at all!

Reply to
Mike F