2001 V70XC Radiator Fan wont shut off

While driving home from dinner last night I noticed the radiator fan was running (I could hear it). After shutting the car off, that fan continued to run. This is not the system that removes moisture from the AC. The fan proceeded to run all night, draining the battery, and leaving me with a dead car in the am which has now been towed the 35 miles to the nearest dealer. I guess I'll find out more on Monday.

Has anybody heard of anything like this? Any ideas? Thanks.

Adam

Reply to
ADingwall

How big is your house? I can walk from dinner in mine !!!! Sounds like the thermostat thinks your engine is too hot, eg. shorted out sensor. Shouldn't be too big a deal to sort out. Price of a new sensor plus the pound of flesh.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Probably a stuck thermal switch/relay or a fault in the air conditioning if fitted.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

The complete radiator fan assembly needs replaced. The relay type box mounted on the fan has shorted and caused the fan to run all of the time. This relay type box is not a servicable item. BD.

Reply to
BigDick

The fan controller is a common failure on your car. Hopefully it's still under warranty, because last time I heard, the controller was only available with the complete fan!

Reply to
Mike F

Sounds like it might be a temp sensor

Scott