2001 Volvo S80 - HELP! No Oil Pressure Message

2001 Volvo S80 - 89,500 miles - Out of nowhere a "no oil pressure, pull over asap, stop engine" message appeared. I had no other message or warning prior to this.

I had the car towed to the service dept. at the volvo dealership. They replaced the 0 rings and oil pan and had me pick up the car the next day.

Within 5 miles of picking up my car, the same message appeared. I had it towed once again and they said that no one there understands what?s going on and they double checked their repairs and said the barrings are fine.

They said the engine is probably shot and it will cost more to check the engine than to put one in from a junkyard. Please HELP!!!! How can this happen with no warning! Any ideas! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Reply to
margs

any chance the oil pressure sensor is defective, or perhaps the wiring to it, and the "no pressure" message is bogus? Perhaps the engine didn't really need the original repairs! I would think that if your really had lost pressure like that, the bearings would be damaged VERY quickly...

Reply to
Perry Noid

Tell us where you are and maybe someone can recommend a competent mechanic, instead of whomever you have been using. You've probably got one of either (1) a major engine problem, (2) a failed oil pressure sender, (3) a failed ECU. Maybe something else, but the codes would have to be checked and I don't know how to do that on this car. (2) would be the cheapest.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

The garage are typically just addressing the symptom. Tell them to hook up a pressure gauge to the sensor port and run the engine and check the *actual* pressure that is present.

You will know where the fault lies then. - Engine or reporting system.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

You had the car towed to "the service dept. at the volvo dealership" and all they did was replace O-rings? Did they do ANY tests? If so, what were they? Did you hear any scary noises - engine knocks, etc? Any smoke from the engine bay or tailpipe?

The other posters have given good advice re: verifying oil pressure. Does the car still start and run?

Finally, what is the name of the dealership - it sounds like one that everyone should avoid.

Reply to
doug