2002 Volvo Cross country engine noise

With 84,000 miles there suddenly appeared a loud tapping/knocking sound from the #5 cylinder upper engine area. No smoking, reduced power, tapping is reduced slightly under load. Engine has only been idled since noise began. There was no warning , the noise appeared suddenly. I have checked the plug and coil and am about to remove valve cover to inspect. It would seem to be coming from the Valve area of the head but my experience shows very little in this area would cause the loud knock. Has anyone experienced such symptoms before with a Volvo 5 cylinder turbo?

Reply to
peter507c

Hydraulic tappet failed?

ttfn....Alistair