2003 Volvo S40 - Initial 6k Miles and impressions

Recently, we purchased a 2003 Volvo S4 (Premium package, Galactica Alloy wheel) My wife test drove it and said it was the most comfortable car she had driven. She's rather petite and finding a car that fits her comfortably is important. I talked to the Volvo sales person and we were able to come to agreement on price. As people have posted here, they are being sold at deep discounts.

The break in consisted of local/city driving only for the 1st 1500 miles followed with an oil change at the local dealership. gas mileage during that time was about 22-24 MPG which included short drives back and forth to the store and work. We then took the car on an extended 4000 mile journey to the adirondacks. We loaded the car up to the hilt with 3 passengers and gear. This car was more than adequate, plenty of Pep and we actually got about 35MPG on the highway (loaded up and with AC on constantly). Even loaded up, the drive was comfortable and it easily traversed the mountain roads where we would stop and do some hiking. It performed smooth and predictably on the highway, a quiet and pleasurable experience.

One Con I would like to mention of the car is the quality of the Paint. We purchased the Black Sapphire Metallic option, within a week or so, A bird crapped on the car, I gently soaked it and when removing it noticed that it had actually eaten through and into the paint. When I talked to Volvo (local dealer) about the experience they explained that the Acidity of the Bird dropping in our area is very high and that was the cause. When I pursued it further with the service manager, I got the same remark.. My reply was "I have heard enough B.S about the Acidity of the Bird Shit. I did a complete cleaning and wax, and plan to follow up with another wax with the next month or so.

Other cons:

-Visibility from driver Position to left rear of the Car

-Brake Dust (A battle to keep it clean, I will get different pads when they are replaced)

Other than that, with an initial 6000 miles or so on it, My wife loves her car and We are happy that we made the purchase. This car looks good, feels solid, is safe, and is pretty quick. Also, A Spoiler and Mud Flaps added to the looks of the car.

Regards, Stan

Reply to
Stan

Same problems with all newer Volvos.

Thanks, Stan. This car is underrated by Volvo traditionalists. From 2001 to the present the s40/v40 is a solid, good handling, well built car with many happy and satisfied owners. In some ways I think it is better looking than the next generation.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

Reply to