2005 XC70

Just bought a 2005 XC70 with 68k(km). The car was certified and appears to have been well maintained, however, are there any particular issues common to these cars that should I be aware of. Thanks

Reply to
zygggy

Hi,

None that I am aware of after driving one for 5 years.

No offend, but a bit strange you ask this AFTER buying the car...

Reply to
John Smith

I had one new for 4 years. The only flaw I experienced was the geartronic. It's a not so fast gearbox and nothing can't be done about it. It's just how the geartronic is. But for the rest it is a very fine car. I now drive MY 2008 and next year I plan to have new one. I'm doing 35.000 km a year (D5 chiptuned).

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Reply to
edasduke

There's no substitute for hearing from someone that actually owns one and getting the benefit of their experience. You can only get so much info off the web!

Zyg

Reply to
zygggy

The geartronic is compared to the automatics of Audi and BMW slightly slower. Especially when kicking down when you want to overtake a car or suddenly want to increase your speed for whatever reason. Also from 0 to 20 it's seems to 'hestitate' a little while. After its ' fired ' it rolls on. It is just not that responsive as its competitors. But then again its a relative thing. I'm satisfied but its a geartronic. Lane

Reply to
Lane

We have a couple of older ones.

2002 XC 70: transmission blew up at 100,000 km power steering blew the seals a few months after 2000 V70 xc: transmission blew up at 200,000 km in-dash radiator developed a leak (e.g. heater) radiator developed a leak after getting both fixed the car is still losing water but no visible leaks (we're worried).

I can only express my hope that Volvo have made some improvements on the newer transmissions: the service manager of our franchise said they're the weak link on this model.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Reply to
edasduke

also you seem to understand what i meant by finicky. 0-20 is a problem, but 170-210 is bliss. (also it's the same damn transmission

-- well almost)

Reply to
edasduke

Reply to
edasduke

The local Volvo chap here says lower the pressure cap pressure so the system will last longer . He has done this on all his own Volvos over the years . Makes good sense to me .

Reply to
John Robertson

Reply to
jrobertson

I have put an oil cooler in series with the radiator and drained the auto fluid and refilled with Nulon 1V compatible multi use transmission oil a couple of times . Then after a long run I ran the fluid out of the radiator into a container till it was bubbling then refilled with Toyota 1V fluid and ran till I got a clear red colour color coming out .No metal just dirty fluid now I shall cross my fingers and hope that was enough . Apparently there is a new oil called Toyota WS (world standard )oil $68 au dollars for 4 litres .It is hydroscopic and the warning is to keep it away from heat out of the sun when storing ??I think it would be better to call it long life rather than (no need to change ). It is said that it does not need ever changing but the Toyota fellow wisely says although it last according to Toyota it gets dirty as well so he will be recommending a change of oil every so often just in case ,sounds wise to me . Toyota Aisian transmissions use Toyota 1V tranny oil apparently made for them by Mobil so that's fine by me . The New fully synthetic Mobil one oil just released has been deemed ok for the Aisian transmission after some initial doubts BUT it can NOT be mixed with normal tranny oil .By the way on my 2004 V70 the oil flows from the radiator out to the line and easy job but I got it wrong and had to clean up a spill . Next time it will be easy if I remember what I did .

"jrobertson" wrote in message news:ofBCs.1949$ snipped-for-privacy@viwinnwfe02.internal.bigpond.com...

Reply to
jrobertson