2005 XC90 CEM corrosion

From 2005 XC90 CEM

A Volvo mechanic showed me this bit of insanity. The CEM1 circuit board sits on top of CEM3 circuit board and they are soldered to each other via header pins. CEM3 is conformably coated but CEM1 is not. The difference due to exposure to elements is obvious. What possessed Volvo to protect one board and not the other?

Boris Mohar

The problem is water leaking in through the top cover on the cowl that was not correctly sealed @ the factory. When I replace the CEM I use a good glue to make sure that there is no water egresses in the passenger compartment near the CEM Glenn K Certified Volvo Technician 2008 ASE Certified Technician 2008

Reply to
GlennK

That is strange.

The corroded one looks repairable though, I've fixed pinball machine CPU boards that were in much worse shape from the memory backup battery leaking all over them. Vinegar wash followed by a careful scrub with a brass bristled brush can work wonders.

Reply to
James Sweet

Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Reply to
Jon Robertson

Well it ought to reduce body corrosion, but I seriously doubt it would have any effect on the inside of electronics. There exist potential differences due to power supplied to the circuit and whatever is more positive will be the anode either way.

Zinc is often used on boats, and works well to prevent corrosion of metal hardware.

Reply to
James Sweet