2007 V50 rattle when starting

I have a 2007 V50 2.4i which has a noise I haven't been able to locate. It's an intermittent "rattle" when starting, just after the engine fires, and lasts for no more than a few seconds. It never appears again until starting and not every time. It can happen when the engine is hot or cold. It's been there since I got the car over 2 years ago, and doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

I have changed the alternator clutch which didn't fix it. I suspect the starter, which isn't all that easy to get at, so I'm seeking advice before I attack it. Anyone come across this before?

Regards, Barry

Reply to
Barry

Well the thing to do is use two people. One person starts the vehicle and the other listens in various places. Like under the hood, each side of vehicle, rear of vehicle, hoist it up and listen under the vehicle at front and rear.

Notice where the sound is the loudest.

If you find a general area where the sound is coming from, you can safely pinpoint it by using a long cardboard tube like a roller for gift wrapping paper. One end to ear, the other end to various locations.

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

Check out areas where there are heat shields.

Reply to
Tunku