2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD

We are very interested in purchasing a 2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD model. However, we are really concerned about the numerous reliability (or lack thereof) reports we have seen on Edmunds Townhalls.

What is the general consensus on this car? Is it supposed to be more reliable than the 03-04 models? Are we going to have to replace the Transmission after 60-70-80K miles?

Please share any comments or experiences you may have had with the

2007 and 2008 models.

Thanks RM

Reply to
riaz.mohammad

It's going to be difficult to get much feedback on the 2008 models. The XC70 model has been around for several years and has decent reliability in my experience. But today's cars are very complex and that is why most cars come with long term warranties. At the end of 5 years most problems will have been solved in my experience with Volvo cars.

Read the complaints on Edmunds with the understanding that the same person may complain several times and people tend to post on forums like that when they have problems. Those with no problems rarely show up to gush over how perfect their car is.

Reply to
Roadie

Thanks.

Since the 2007 also had the same 3.2 engine and 6-speed transmission, I would appreciate if there are any experiences with that.

Reply to
riaz.mohammad

Volvo stopped using the transmission that was used in the early XC90 & went back to a transmission made by Asian Warner there have not been any problems with this transmission unlike the transmission made by GM there was & still are problems with that unit

Reply to
Glenn Klein

My mistake - I thought you were asking about the XC70. I can't tell you much about the XC90.

Reply to
Roadie

The early opinion on the 2007 model is that it is a major improvement over previous years and is considered to have average reliability. Whatever they are doing, it seems to be in the right direction. Since most 2007 models don't have much mileage yet, there could still be problems down the pike. For people on a tight budget, it might be a good idea to choose a good dealer and get an extended service policy.

Reply to
Stephen Henning