240 1990 engine check light on owner says NP

looking to buy a 240 (1990)the one I looked at had a good body but the engine check light was on (111k miles), owner said that every 25k miles you need to have a mech turn it off. I'm not believing that, some brown water came out the tail pipe when started and a little hard to start also . any thoughts on this one...........Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Smith

If it was really no problem, he would have turned it off. The Check engine light only comes on when there is a problem detected. Learn how to read what the computer is trying to tell you at:

Mike F

The owner's either dodgy or an imbecile. Either way I would stay clear. As you are likely aware, the service light (not check engine) comes on and stay on for couple minutes, every 5000 miles - as a service reminder.

Brown water in the tailpipe could be from the car not being run for a while and run accumulating.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Actually, the service light comes on and stays on until a mechanic turns it off, to get you to the do the regular maintenance. But, as you said, it's the service light that does this, not the check engine light.

Reply to
PButler111

Engine check light is just that - something needs checking. if you just need to take it to a mechanic to turn off, why hasn't the present owner done it ?

The only regular warning light that should stay lit is the service light, which just tells you it's time for an oil change (and then the mechanic re-sets it).

Steer clear of this one !

Wayne Smith wrote:

Reply to
aaaa

then again, it might be something simple and cheap to fix, on a car that is otherwise in good condition.... as suggested above, use the built-in diagnostic connector under the hood to track down the problem, then decide if it's worth fixing. Something as easy as a defective O2 sensor could be repaired for very little.....

Reply to
Otto Mobile

thanks for sall the great replys......... a friend who has a 240 (87) wagon says the engine needs a valve job ( although I'm not sure how he can tell this) and that its a $2000 job. he says he hears a tapping or ticking sound. but its seems that this may not be for me , though I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty I'm not a mechanic.they want $3000 for the car but not worth the repair cost if thats accurate............Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Smith

Don't you have the option to simply take the car to a mechanic and have them do a used-car pre-sale check? That seems the easiest way to go. It would be a shame to lose the car if it turns out a mechanic tells you there really isn't a big problem.

Reply to
PButler111

that would be ideal but there are no plates on the car and the owner got really weird when we drove it just 1/2 a block down the street. I really don't know how that person expects to sell a car without a test drive.......Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Smith

Everything you've said about this car indicates that it isn't a desirable purchase. There are better Volvos to be found on eBay .......

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

From what it sounds like there are better Volvos in the local pick and pull, RUN!! $3,000 is top dollar around here for a 1990 with low miles in good condition.

Reply to
Dave Shannon

A buyer should be happy -- even anxious -- to have you do a thorough test drive and even have the car checked out by your own mechanic. If they're not, I agree with those telling you to run away. I've bought three 240s on eBay over the years, one from a private seller, two from dealers, and I've been most happy with each of them.

Reply to
PButler111

I agree on all counts, here in western NY its hard to find a 240 without rust ( too much salt on the roads during the winter) I have seen them on ebay and the good ones seem to be in florida but they do pop up and I'll keep looking , gotta have my 240.............Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Smith

I have to say, of the three 240s I've bought on eBay, two have been from New Jersey, and one from Connecticut. Each time I fly in (CT was close to White Plains, NY airport) and driven home (Chicago) with my "new" car.

Reply to
PButler111

Do you know that there are services that will ship a car you purchase via eBay in Florida to western NY (or anywhere else in the country)? They are quite reasonably priced - and can be accessed for eBay Motors.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

yes I know about shipping cars but you dont get to see them unless you fly down there, its probably $700 to ship one.......Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Smith

I think it's actually much cheaper than that, unless you're having it shipped coast to coast.

Reply to
PButler111