240 (1991) Fuel pump / pre-pump

I am going to replace my prepump on my 240. Do I access it through the back seat or do I have to remove the fuel tank, lower it down to get to the pre-pump? HELP....

Reply to
jsegura525

You access it from the trunk assuming this is a sedan. Pull the carpet back in the trunk floor and you'll find a rectangular metal plate. Remove that and you can see the bung on top of the tank. The return line has a union you access from under the car ahead of the tank, disconnect that there, everything else has hose clamps. It's tricky to get the pickup tube out of the tank, it's much easier if you drop the tank out the buttom but don't try that unless it's practically empty, fuel is heavy.

Reply to
James Sweet

Dear James, You have come to rescue me again.... I accessed the pre-pump area, but I can not remove the "bung", it seems to need a special tool (with teeth). I will probably remove the tank in the morning for more easy access to the pump. Thanks again... Joseph

Reply to
jsegura525