240 '89 Ventilation

The windows of our 240 steam up a lot these days. It seems that the push button to get outside air does not do anything. All of the little black vacuum tubes behind the push buttons are in place. Perhaps the vacuum actuated flap mechanism is stuck. Where would that be? Thanks, Bill (Indianapolis)

Reply to
bg

If you remove the panels over and to the left (right on RHD) of the passengers feet, stick your head up against the firewall, and look to the center of the car, you can see the recirc door, and it's actuator. Working on it is easier said than done, though!

Reply to
Mike F

just a thought, but on my '89 240, the little rubber tube that connects to the intake manifold (and supplies vacuum to the ventilation control system) kept cracking where it slipped over the metal fitting. I finally fixed it by putting a glob of silicon sealant over the fitting and rubber tube, effectivly sealing it and securing it at the same time. Has held for 2 years, no sign of failure so far! Cheap fix, and solved vent problems for me!....

m9876c at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Perry Noid

hello, & thanks for the post. i will take the panels down & look again. i saw the a/c line coming in, the evaporator, the blower, the duct that goes up to the vent (and defrost?), and the round vacuum reservoir. also, i followed the vacuum hose from the reservoir forward to the firewall.

would the recirc door & actuator be forward of the evaporator? (like they say, maybe "if it had been a bear, it would have bit me", but i sure did miss it. i looked around and the > >

Reply to
bg

Yes, between the evaporator and firewall. You really have to jamb your head in there to see it. Or use a small mirror to help.

Reply to
Mike F

.hello, I found the "flapper" that allows outside air to come into the car. As the experts said, it is between the evaporator and the firewall, mounted crossways, on a hinge, from the top. When it is allowed to open, the lower edge moves forward. Haven't located the vacuum actuator yet. Bill (Indianapolis) > >

Reply to
bg