240 '92 6 cyl. diesel how reliable?

Has anybody got comments on this motor? Is it reliable? any udea on the avg. fuel consumption (please in l/100km) Is a motor with 200k km at the end of its life or still young? I am now driving a B230F 240 sedan and thinking of switching to a 240 diesel break. The car has now 200k km, mine has 250 k km and hummms like a bee. I have no experiences with the diesel cars. What are other things to look at?

Thanks guys!

Franky

Reply to
bluefox

I didn't know that they still offered the diesel option that late. If it's the same as the earlier 6 cyl diesels, it's a VW engine. People have posted here that they are good for about 180k miles (you can convert to km), then tend to need rebuilds or significant repairs. It's supposedly cheaper to get parts through VW, too. IIRC, the fuel pumps and head gaskets are prone to fail at about the mileage of the one you are looking at.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe the block/lower end was supplied by VW but the top end (headers/injection system etc) was/is supplied by PRV.

VW has 3/4/5/6 cylinder diesel (turbocharged) engines based on the same bore and stroke. I had a VW Golf diesel it took 85000 KM to break the engine in. my mileage jumped 46 to 52 miles per imperial gallon. Sorry for the mixed measurement systems but I am bilingual. Also a chemist/technocrat.

"Michael Cerkowski "

Reply to
Gunner

It's a completely VW engine.. which is a shame really. Peugeot's diesels, even back then, were quite impressive. By 87 they had a EFI equipped diesel.

In the US they marketed 90hp four banger turbo diesels. Pretty impressive stuff with its 21 or 22:1 compression ratio (compared to other TDs of the time, that's pretty high). And none of the beastly hassle of that 6 cylinder diesel.

A friend of mine has a Pug 505TD with the XD2S engine (70hp). That car (sedan, stick) feels about as peppy as another friend's Volvo 245 (wagon, auto), but the Pug gets about 10 extra miles to the gallon.

Can you tell how much I'd like to stick a Pug engine into a 760 diesel? :-D

The V6 engine was the only French motor Volvo ever used in a US market vehicle (and the heads were Volvo, the block was French). I believe that some Renault four bangers made their way into one of Volvos older FWD models (300? 400?).. but the diesels were all VW/Audi... right down to the (Bosch) injection.

- alex

'85 244 Turbo '84 245 Turbo

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

I found it interesting the first time I saw one that the engine has the VW logo right on it, not even a custom Volvo valve cover.

Reply to
James Sweet