240 AC belt jumps off

I have a 1993 240 that can't keep the AC belt in the pulleys when using the AC. I installed a new belt a month ago when I thought the old one had broken (it was just gone!). It worked well with no AC on, but it popped off on the way home on a hot day. I reinstalled it, making extra sure it had the proper tension, but it jumped off again. The AC compressor sounds good and works fine - no indication it is seizing up. Has anyone else had this issue, or have any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
flash

Check the belt tension and alignment of the A/C compressor pulley. There is an adjustment to get it into plane with the main pulley. If that is not done correctly, the belt twists and quickly fails or can fall off.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Likely your accessory mount bushings are shot, allowing the pulleys to twist out of alignment. Fortunately they're cheap and fairly easy to replace with only basic hand tools.

Reply to
James Sweet
Reply to
Kathleen Johnston

Is the harmonic balancer on the crankshaft splitting? Look at the pulleys with the engine idling and the AC on, are they both running straight and true, or is there a wobble?

Can't say I've ever had a problem with belts jumping off these.

Reply to
James Sweet

It could be that the accessory bushings are worn/loose/shrunk and need replacing. The Power steering, alternator, and A/C compressor are all mounted on the same type bushing that isolate those components from the block. They fit into the lower mounting boss on the part that is bolted to the block, and the lower pivot bolts go through them, iirc. I found the ones on my Mom's alternator so worn that when we drove it home after purchase the alternator pulley had worn the adjustment bolt and block over 50% through! __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.