240 Auto Trans Question

88 240 with about 172k miles on it. While cold the transmission slips a little going into drive/first gear. But once warm, no problems. Any ideas? Far as I know it's been well taken care of and serviced. Is there something simple(ish) it could be that I could check on or should it be taken to the shop and bite the bullet.

thanks

Reply to
Justin Wood

Check the fluid level, beyond that there's not much you can do. Fluid should be checked with the engine idling, there's two sides to the dipstick, one for cold and one for warm, make sure you look at the right one.

Reply to
James Sweet

If the trans fluid is dark but doesn't smell burnt you could try having the transmission flushed. Early AW70-71 trannies had a problem with fluid drain back after sitting. The pump would have to run for a bit before enough fluid was forced back into the pan in order to allow the pump to have a supply to pick up. Since trans fluid thickens with age this could be a problem.

Bob

Reply to
volvowrench

Thanks everyone for the tips and I'll look it over. Last I checked the fluid level was a tad low but I added some.

Thanks again.

Justin

Reply to
Justin Wood

If it's low again check the cooling lines where they bolt to the frame near the engine, and also check the output shaft bushing for play, that can hose the seal.

Reply to
James Sweet

Have the transmission fluid flushed - not just changed. You may also need to have the filter replaced. If you are lucky it's just old, gunky fluid. If the flush works and you plan to keep the car, have it done again next year.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski