240 auto transmission top up

Hello,

Can anyone advise me where to put the auto transmission fluid? My 240 is kinda changing down a gear and I'm fairly sure that the fluid is the problem. Should probably buy a Haynes manual but apart from being a tight wad, I didn't undertstand the one I got for my 2 stroke moped.......and they're easy :-(. I have Googled and found good stuff re. how to do it properly but no under bonnet pics for the completely uneducated, like me. I believe I just need to top it up a bit. Any advice and especially caveats like, 'just make sure you don't do X or you'll ruin your car' would be very welcome. And most especially, which hole to put it in.....ooh er Missus.

I understand that this Q is probably a bit low brow for this NG but I have Googled first and I'd be most grateful for the answer(s).

Regards Sammy

Reply to
Sammy

I believe you just fill it through the dipstick port (use a funnel).

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

what year is it? on my '83, the dipstick is up by the firewall, drivers side (US) of the engine... gotta dig for it, it's not right on top. Use the correct ATF. According to my Haynes, mine takes type F... unless it's been rebuilt (like, how am I supposed to know if it's been rebuilt?!) So, I just slop in type F and it runs out the rear seal.

Reply to
Clay

my '89 240 uses the regular Dexron fluid. Check the level with the car warmed up and parked on a relatively flat surface. With the engine running, shift thru the gears, then put it in PARK, pop the hood, and pull out the tranny dipstick (way toward the back, on the left side of the engine). Wipe it clean, reinsert and recheck the level, then add whatever type of fluid yours calls for, up to the FULL mark.

I did a flush on mine a couple years ago, and put in a quart of synthetic at the end, along with the regular fluid. Has worked perfectly, shifts smoothly (229,000miles).

Reply to
Perry Noid

Thank you very much Perry.... and everybody else who replied. My 240 is now sorted :-).....thanks to you :-).

Gratefully Sammy

Reply to
Sammy