240 bonnet catch bust!

Looks like the catch on my 240 has given up the ghost. The cable pull moves back and forth but nothing happens. I've tried having someone lean on the bonnet while I try and pull to no avail. Does anyone know how to get in there without doing too much damage?

Pharm..

Reply to
Pharmanaut

Probably needs oiling, get down under the car and you can access the catch from behind the front bumper, lots of room in there.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks both for the replies. I'll have a bash at it tomorrow. It sounds less of a nightmare than I was imagining!

Pharm...

Reply to
Pharmanaut

If the cable has broken, you will need to open the bonnet to fit a new one. It's possible to carefully prise off the front grill, and access the catch from underneath.

The grill is held by two quarter-turn clips at the top, and two lugs that simply slot into the bodywork at the bottom.

Using something that won't damage the plastic (a strip of wood, for example) carefully prise at the bottom of the grill, flexing the plastic, untill the two lugs are eased out of their slots. Gently pull the bottom of the grill forward, and reach under it till you can grasp the underside of the quarter-turn clips. Turn them a quarter turn (clockwise from underneath - pliers or grips may help), and push them up, out of their holes. The grill can now be removed. You should be able to see the catch mechanism, and lever the appropriate part to release the catch.

With the bonnet open you can fit a new cable.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

Even if the cable has broken you can still work the latch from under the car with a screwdriver, much easier than popping the grill out and no chance of breaking off the fragile plastic posts. Of course if the car is parked in mud this is not so appealing.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

After you break off the fragile plastic posts on the bottom of the grill, you can easily replace them with a couple of machine screws. I sanded the spots smooth, tapped the plastic and screwed right into the plastic from the backside. Worked for years.

Reply to
Robert Lutwak