240 bulb failure warning unit

hey all

have a 245 1987 my bulb failure warning unit burned through yesterday the parklight on the right and left tail side won't work anymore

how is it possible to burn through? can this happen once in a while? or is this because of the high age? or is there somewhere something wrong with my elec. system??

what does this thing cost new? or can i use a used one?

tia for the help

kwijlebabulus

Reply to
kwijlebabulus

The usual cause is cracked solder joints on the circuit boards inside. The cover pops off the unit fairly easily, it's a red can located up under the dash, unplug it, pop it open, and inside there's several stacked circuit boards. It should be pretty apparent looking at the solder joints which ones are cracked and dull looking. You can buy a new one but it's pretty expensive and not very hard to fix the old one.

Reply to
James Sweet

thx james

i looked inside => the unit melted down at 2 or three points, so it's almost impossible to fix it , unless i put in a whole new piece in it

but i still wonder how this can happen! perhaps the 3rd brake light? i also replaced the 2 tail foglights by a 5/21Watt bulb the 21W are for the fog the 5 W are connected to the standard tail parklights but it would be very bizare when the unit burns because of 2* 5W

the car has a hook for a trailer, so it can't be the extra 'connections' neither from the trailer plug or the two 5W bulbs

or can it just be the age of the unit? perhaps a bad contact in it? ..........

tia

kwijlebabulus

Reply to
kwijlebabulus

my 88 did the same thing with the left taillight,I didn't know about the bulb failure relay til i saw one on ebay,all I knew was that i wasn't getting power to that side and i needed my inspection that day to beat the new emisions deadline here,so as a temporary fix I spliced into the wires going to the right taillight and ran power over to the left,the bulb warning light is on,but my lights work. mark

Reply to
Wstndboi38

hi alex

i have several bulbwarningrelais lying around and live only about 3 miles from you so don't hesitate,i will even help to solve you electrical problems

marc

4*960 1*740 16v 1*tatra 613-4

kwijlebabulus wrote:

Reply to