240 Engine Revs

I've just bought a 1991 UK spec 240, with the B200K engine in it. It's a great car, only done 153k miles, but it's quite different from the other three 240's I've had.

If you're accelerating hard from low revs to (say) 5000rpm, when you come to change gear you have to wait what seems like an age for the engine to 'slow' down.

Is this to do with the EFI? The other 240's I've owned have all had carburettors, but haven't had this 'feature'. Is there anything that may need attention? I get 27 - 30mpg, which is excellent.

It doesn't really bother me that much, I have another car for the times when I want a sporty drive, I'm just curious.

Many thanks,

David

Reply to
David Balfour

The injection shouldn't affect this, some cars got a much heavier flywheel than others but I don't know anything about the B200K engine. It's kinda hard to say whether this is normal or not without seeing it as "an age" is not a particularly precise measurement. First thing I would do if it seems abnormal though is check for vacuum leaks or a binding throttle plate.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks for the info James - the B200K does seem to be a bit of a mystery. I don't think it was ever used in the US spec cars, and I can't find much about it on the net. The info I can find suggests that it was never fitted with EFI anyway, but as you say it's unlikely to be the cause of this.

I need to purchase an up-to-date manual, and I'll get back to the group with my findings.

Reply to
David Balfour

B200K would have a downdraft carb... B200 is just a 2.0 litter version of the B230.

Reply to
Mike F