240 fuel tank capacity

Morning all.

I have a UK spec 1989 240 DL estate with the 2.3 carbed engine. The manual says that the fuel tank capacity is 60 litres. The thing is, I have never been able to put more than about 48 litres of fuel in the tank, even when the fuel gauge is reading right at the bottom of the red bit.

So, _presumably_ the fuel gauge is misreading a little? I know that the obvious thing to do is to take a spare can of fuel, and drive until I run out, and see how many miles I've done, and see what the gauge is doing, but I don't really fancy running out of fuel, even deliberately.

But, unless I've got a smaller tank than normal, I can probably dare to do another 50 or 60 miles when I've got down to the bottom of my gauge?

cheers

Olly R

Reply to
Olly R

With my '89 245 van (D24), I can drive at least another 100 km when the needle passes the bottom of the red field.

The maximum I ever put in the tank at once was 59.somewhat litres, so I suppose the 60 litres from the manual is quite correct. But when the gauge enters the red field, only about 40 litres is used, and when the gauge leaves the red field, about 50 litres is used.

I suppose it shouldn't be too difficult to adjust the gauge, but I'm used to start thinking about looking for a gas station when the gauge leaves the red field. ;-)

Groetjes,

Maarten

Reply to
Maarten De Munck

I've put in the high 50s in my 240s. One thing to look for is the tank being collapsed on the bottom - either from hitting something, or from a bad charcoal canister which allows engine vacuum to collapse the tank. (The latter problem usually is accompanied by fuel delivery problems, especially on a carbed engine, although fixing the problem won't uncollapse the tank.)

Reply to
Mike F

Hi Olly,

It doesn't seem a good idea to run the tank dry. You may pick up a load of guck from the bottom of the tank, especially from a fifteen-year old tank........

Good Luck. Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

In addition, it is hard on the fuel pump. Seems we had a thread about a week ago where the car wouldn't start after running out of gas and sitting overnight.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

This is a carb'd car. Shouldn't make a difference to the fuel pump.. fuel pump should be super cheap to replace if it does fail.

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Thanks very much for all your suggestions.

Olly R

Reply to
Olly R