240 gearbox

`92 240 Gl station wagon, manual shift. When stationary it is reluctant to go into 1st gear, clutch is fine, no grinding noises, sometimes it seems to help to slip it into 2nd, then 1st. All other gears are smooth, AFAIK this is the original box, and it has > 300k (km) on the clock. Any ideas? TIA Bob Larder

Reply to
Robert Larder

Tired synchro probably. Just keep hitting second first and run it another 300km. (I made a habit of touching second before going into first, if it needs it or not, back when I first started driving... picked it up from pops I guess.)

Reply to
clay

Draining/refilling the transmission oil on my '88 240DL made this same problem go away. YMMV.

Reply to
BakersT

I have an identical problem in my 90 240 wagon (167k mi), and it was doing it since I bought it 30k miles ago. Any gear above third is fine, and lots of people who drive my car have difficulty finding first, they don't expect it to be quite so far over. I was told by my mechanic that he believe that there is a connecting pin that will account for this problem, he is hoping that the pin has just gotten loose and can be easily replaced. But, he also sounds nervous that the hole that the pin attaches to has grown in size over the years, and it may be a more difficult job.

I am still trying to save money for the repairs. I will let you know how it turns out.

-Simon

Reply to
SimonHova

I'd probably just swap the gearbox, 240s have been around long enough that you can get these cheaply. Last time I was at the U-pull yard near me they had several cars with the M47 5 speed in them, $55 for the gearbox but you have to yank it yourself.

Reply to
James Sweet

ooh, just got the linkage pin changed, and it was WORTH IT. The shifter is much more useable now, still a bit loose when in a gear, but MUCH easier to shift into first and second gears.

-Simon

Reply to
SimonHova

" snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

that he believe that there is a connecting pin that will

is much more useable now, still a bit loose when in a gear,

Simon, I had a mechanic fiddle with my linkage pin (WHAT??!! ;-) ), and it helped, but didn`t entirely solve the problem. I also changed the transmission oil as suggested by another poster, but that didn`t help. Thanks to all for the help Bob Larder

Reply to
Robert Larder

Reply to
John Robertson