240 GL Gas Tank - How do I Remove and Clean it

Never done this. Any helpful instructions. What a way to ruin a weekend.

Steps? Removal of existing gas. Cleaning? Car wash? Reinstallation

Reply to
Serrano

Get under the car and unhook the hoses, use two wrenches so you don't twist the rigid pipes, then put a jack under it and remove the 4 bolts that hold it then lower the tank down, took about a half hour to get it out the first time I did it.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks for the response. Seems straighforward. however, I am stuck on how to disengage the wire and fuel line cluster accessible through the trunk. one wire is clipped and removes easily. the others seem to be hardwired. there is a ring clamp on one fuel line, but another seems to be pressed in. Then there is the odd lid/receptical contraption that covers the fuel gauge sending unit, etc. Can't seem to unscrew it. Does it take a special tool?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Serrano

That's why I said jack up the car and get under it, the coupling is under the car near the tank, the hose is hard sealed to the tank sender/pipe unit. There is a special tool the remove the bung nut but you don't have to remove it to drop the tank, I didn't have that tool on my dad's car which is why I dropped the tank in the first place since I couldn't get a good angle on it with a screwdriver and hammer. I'm about to go try the same thing on my 242 tomorrow as the in-tank pump failed.

Reply to
James Sweet

Tank's out, being vatted.

sending unit dangling, needs replacing.

There are two fuel lines. One has a ring clamp and can be removed from the sending unit. The other seems to be a rubber coated metal tube. Does it disconnect somewhere before the external fuel pump?

Then there are the electrical wires leading to the sending unit top. They appear hard soldered. So to replace are we talking cutting, then splicing back for the new unit? weird.

Thanks for any experienced advice you have.

S.

Reply to
Serrano

The sender's wires and the second hose are connected about a foot away from the sender, look for the connections there. You may have problems with the hose connection due to rust, make sure there's no fuel leak on reassembly.

Reply to
Mike F