240 lenses

Someone posted a link a while back that had nice aftermarket taillight lenses for 240s, I can't find it now, anyone know it offhand?

Reply to
James Sweet

Ebay

Reply to
Howard Nelson

had nice aftermarket taillight

Good news. That was me, and here it is:

Best, Carter

Reply to
carterbear1

I bought a set and was not thrilled. Although they came with new bulbs, sockets and circuit board, the brake light sockets did not make good contact with the circuit board and the contact area burned up due to arcing. I tried soldering some wires to the socket but the contact material on the socket would not take the solder. I finally got some Volvo lamp sockets and wired them in. You get what you pay for. Next time it will be:

I am not sure if theiraftermarket lenses come from the same place.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

How's the quality of the plastic lenses themselves? I don't care about the circuit boards, I have those in good shape and can transfer them over from the originals, but the lenses are looking like crap. I had some aftermarket turn signal lenses on my 242 and they were definitely not anywhere near OEM quality, got milky and yellow after just a couple years, junk.

Reply to
James Sweet

They look ok, but definitely not like Volvo ones. it was certainly an improvement and the price was right. The car is beater so I was after function not form.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

I replaced all lights all around. Car looks like a million bucks, everything works great, the plastic is amazingly clear. The old ones were yellow and cracked, brittle. I even recommended the site to my Volvo mechanic who was impressed. C

Reply to
carterbear1

be:

I am not sure if their> aftermarket lenses come from the same place.

I've had trouble with the contacts on the sockets not making good contact with the circuit boards on both new replacements from Volvo, as well as the originals on the car before replacement. No substitute for taking an old "ink eraser" and giving the contact areas a good scrubbing to get rid of the oxidation.

be:

am not sure if their> > aftermarket lenses come from the same place.>

The set that I got look just like the original 240 lights on the car. I don't know about circuit boards, but this set is a match of volvo's, just doesn't say "volvo" on the plastic. Carter

Reply to
carterbear1

If the problem is that the reverse lens fell off, note that OEM reverse lenses are available from places like fcpgroton.com . These can be silicone glued in to the cluster that is missing the lens.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

That was the straw that broke the camel's back, but the lenses were all old and getting crackly looking, they made the car look like crap. Much improved now with the new ones from FCP, they're not quite OEM quality, but they look a WHOLE lot better than the old ones.

Reply to
James Sweet

messagenews:46ef172b$0$14100$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net...

Be careful when buying replacement lenses, especially the Eastern European ones sold on eBay. I bought an inexpensive rear assembly for a 240. It was described as meeting DOT standards. When approaching the car from the rear one evening, I discovered the reflectors in the assembly didn't reflect. But it looked a lot better than the one with a couple of missing lenses!

Reply to
Son_Worshipper