240 Little Black Tube in Trunk

Hey all, I've noticed a strong gas smell the past 2 times I have filled up my '90 240 DL and driven it for a few miles. I checked my trunk and noticed I have a small black tube running to the outside of the car through a hole in the trunk where the jack is. There was also a very small amount of gas in that area and the tube was loose the first time I checked it. When I filled it up yesterday I drove it to work, about

20 miles, I didnt smell any gas but on the way home I took a left turn at a fairly quick pace and immediately noticed a gas smell.

My first question is, what is that tube and its purpose? Second, why do I keep getting gas in the trunk? I'm guessing its some king of overflow but I need to know how to prevent any more gas puddles.

I've checked the car for other leaks and have not found any. Fuel mileage is still an amazing 29mpg.

Thanks!

Reply to
tlr1000

The tube sounds like the drain tube which lets out any water that accumulates in the low spots in the trunk.

If you smell gas, check the tubes connecting to the filler pipe, you might have a crack or split.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks. I'll check those out.

Reply to
tlr1000

That may be a drain from the little rubber pocket that catches any overflow from when you're filling the tank. Make sure it's connected to the bottom of the pocket inside the trunk, and the bottom of the hose sticks out through the hole in the well. There should be a shaped grommet in the hole to hold the hose in place.

Reply to
Mike F

There isnt a grommet in the hole of the trunk so maybe thats the problem. I'll try to find one. Thanks!

Reply to
tlr1000