240 Passenger side soaked

We had a day long rain in NC yesterday and my 240 was parked outside in it. This morning I noticed a large puddle on the passenger side floor mat and when I took it out to dry it the whole front passenger floorboard was soaked.

I have noticed small puddles on the floor mat after rains before but none as worse as this morning.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
tlr1000

Windshield leak is likely. Does the car have a sunroof?

Reply to
James Sweet

My 240 with a sunroof developed this due to the drains getting plugged up. I ran a mountain bike brake cable through them, cleaned them out and have had no further leaks. Now it's part of the annual spring cleanup, like lubing the door hinges and such.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

I found the same thing on my 1987 740. I checked for leaks and found none, so I took a razor knife and cut the flooring out, very neatly in that foot area. The water was through the carpet, padding and to the metal. It would never have dried like that.

First things first, get carpet (if you have it) off the floor and dry it. From there, with the carpet still peeled away - get in the car under a soaker hose and look for leaks.

jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Remove the under dash padding and the glove box. Then have someone put water on the car, starting on the hood and move back and forth on the body slowly onto the windshield above the passenger side.

Watch underneath the dash. You will see the leak. Mine was from the rubber seal under the wiper motor that seals the arm through the firewall. Others I have found are from the windshield that was not replaced properly.

Duane

Reply to
Duane

Several possibilities, but first things first.

  1. First remove any floor mats and use cloth towels pressed hard into the carpet to get as much moisture up as possble.

  1. Check the cowl drains to be sure they are unplugged and can handle a lot of water..

  2. Did you have the front windshield replaced recently? If so they might not have gotten it seated properly.

  1. If the car has a sunroof is there any evidence that the water came down from the seiling?

Reply to
Roadie

My 245 has a leak at the left rearest sidewindow. We have had it taken out and remounted with a new rubber seal, without any result :-( It is still leaking. I think we have to take it out again and remount it with some grease and see if that helps.

Reply to
Jakob Griffel

Tried this last night and thats exactly where the leak was coming from. Thanks Duane!

And thanks to everyone else for their suggestions. This group has saved me a lot of time, head scratching, and money.

Reply to
tlr1000