240 Radiator flush

Hello, I have a (new to me) 1991 240 and just noticed that the radiator liquid is very very dirty. Do I just drain the liquid from the lower hose, without having to remove the plate beneath the car? Please help... Joseph

Reply to
jsegura525

A far better approach would be to take the car to a mechanic and have them drain and flush the entire cooling system and put in a proper balance of coolant. They'll remove the pan under the engine in order to be able to complete the task.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
c.fiedler

Remove the plastic belly pan yourself, it is held on with four 10 mm bolts.

Then yes, remove the lower radiator hose to let it drain out.

There is another drain plug to open, on the passenger side of the engine block, toward the rear, near the bottom of the block: takes two different sized wrenches to loosen it (bigger diameter wrench on inside, against block to hold it in place; smaller wrench outside, next to it, to turn and loosen the stopcock.

Reply to
Mr. V

Huh? Why would anyone with any inclination to work on their own car pay a mechanic to perform such a simple task? It's easy enough to pull the splash pan, drain the coolant, flush it out and then fill it up with a

50/50 mix, anyone with basic hand tools can do it.
Reply to
James Sweet