240 rear wheel bearings

have a 240 volvo on 212000 miles.The time has come to have a look at the rear wheel bearings ,which probably havent been regreased since 1989. Is it wise to disturb the bearings and risk disturbing the oil seals, or just leave alone,their is nothing wrong with the bearings, noise etc

Reply to
ian

LOL, you know the answer already - If it isn't broken...................................................................... .......... Mine did over 340,000, till I scrapped the car due to rust on the bodywork, but the bearings were still fine, after never being looked at since new. Thats 340,000 Scottish miles, by the way, which work out at twice the length of an American mile, due to our roads, and the slow speeds you lot travel at. Stu. .

Reply to
Stuart Gray

If they're not acting up then leave them alone, I don't think I've ever even heard of rear wheel bearings failing on a 240.

Reply to
James Sweet

the rear wheel bearings

Reply to
Kim Slyns

As long as the bearings are quiet and the seals are not leaking then I would leave well enough alone.

Aren't the rear bearings actually lubricated by the rear differential fluid on solid axel Volvos?

I would change the rear diff fluid every few years.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Cheers Ill leave well alone,if it aint broke dont fix it

Reply to
ian

I've had the front bearings replaced and repacked, however I was always told that the rear bearings are permanently sealed.

Reply to
Buc4evr