240 self levelling suspension

The suspension in my 1992 240 SE (UK spec) is due for a renovation soon - the back is saggy and the front shocks are on their way out.

I have the self-levelling type of rear shocks, but I'm considering putting standard ones on due to the price of the self-levelling units. Do I just need to change the shocks, or are there other things that need changing?

As I'm looking at replacing a lot of suspension parts, I was cautiously thinking of perhaps trying to make the car less 'wallowy' in the corners. Google turned up nothing, so does anyone know if there is a site around that describes any options. I don't want to do anything silly, just make it slightly less of a pudding in the corners.

Any help most gratefully received.

David

Reply to
David Balfour

Self leveling suspension on a 240? I thought that was only offered on 760s?

I have IPD swaybars on my 240 and they work wonders. You're probably due for new bushings too.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have the nivomats on teh 960. If a car is so equipped, I believe that if you retrofit standard shocks the springs also have to be changed to match.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

That happened to our 765, too. I went with standard (Boge?) shocks and overload springs from IPD. Yes, the springs have to be changed out, but the price was still attractive compared to even the aftermarket price of the Nivomats. It was also way easier than I thought - once the shock was out there was only a single bolt holding the spring.

The ride is firmer than the original shocks were (the best I can remember before the originals went bad) but I am happy. I've carried 800 lbs of block in the back without trouble.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee