240 Service Light

I have a '90 240 wagon *with airbag*. I want to reset the service reminder light. I found this in a previosu posting:

'90-on 240, '87 760, '87-'90 740/780 (5000mi/8000km) ... push in reset button on back of instrument cluster (behind and just above rightmost idiot light); 240 access can either be from under dash as above or by removing instrument cluster; 740/760 with air bags (SRS knee bolster) requires removal of instrument cluster to access; Hint: carefully slide plastic covers off to reveal instrument cluster mounting screws; Caution: when removing instrument cluster do not pull on wires connected to fragile circuit board on back

My questions:

  1. How hard is it for me to do this on my car? 2. On the 240 w/airbag do I need to remove the knee bolster? 2a. Do I need to disable the airbag so I don't get killed by it? 3. How can I remove the bulb so the light doesn't come on again? (When I took the car for state inspection, they wanted to fail me because the Service light is on!)
Reply to
George

I have a 91 240, and there is a rubber plug on the instrument cluster that you remove and insert either an allen key or a small screwdriver and push until you feel some resistance, then push for another 1/4" and that resets the 5,00 mile service light. If you do not have such plug, to remove the instrument cluster is fairly easy, only 4 screws to it.

Post again, or search the brickboard for more advice.

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold